French Lick Resort, From a Kid's Perspective

Picking a winner from this pool of entries wasn't easy.

More than 70 kids entered our recent "My Dream Vacation at French Lick Resort" Creative Writing Contest, where we asked them to describe their perfect stay. Our three winners all earned an overnight stay here at the resort, and we'll be hearing more from them later. 

But we were so impressed with so many of the other entries that were creative, funny and cute. They're too good not to share, so here's some other great excerpts that we came across:


Our pool where we live is closed because of coronavirus, so I really want to make sure we check out the pools. I can’t wait to jump right it! And I REALLY can’t wait to do the Dive-In Movie. I have never watched a movie in a pool because and I think it would be awesome.

After a long day of fun, I would hop into the super comfy bed and cuddle up with my mom. We would watch a movie and eat snacks. The perfect way to end the day!

      Evan S., Age 6

 

I think that West Baden and French Lick are definitely 10-star hotels. I like the restaurants and all the other fun things there are to do. One of my favorite things to do at West Baden is watch the light show in the atrium. It is relaxing to sit on the lounge chairs with my mom and dad. My favorite drink to get while I am there is a Shirley Temple, with extra cherries.

      Landon E., Age 9

 

This year my mom is home schooling me, my brother and sister. We have learned history of the French Lick Springs and West Baden Springs Hotels. We would love to explore the hotels, learn more about the history and swim in the pool! My little sister has always wanted to ride a horse so she would be so excited.

      Breck D., Age 10


 I would like to enter the Dream Vacation Contest because my brother and I need a homework break. I do have a question. Can I bring my dog, Perry Boy? He is a cavapoo. I think he would like French Lick too.

      Josey G., Age 6

 (P.S. -- Yes, Josey, bring Perry Boy! We are pet friendly.) 


I would also like to go on a historical tour. It sounds fun. I LOVE history. Right now, in history class I am learning about Ancient Egypt. I would love to go to the French Lick Resort because it is a wonderland.

      Lailani J., Age 10


I would also like to have their ice cream. It is so good! It’s like joy in your mouth.

      Brylee E., Age 10



My parents have told me so much about afternoon tea at West Baden. I want to relax with some delicious tea and scones. I think it would be lots of fun! I want to try all the tea you offer. My mother says that the teas are “Just lovely.” I can't wait to try them and see! I am also very excited to try the mini-sandwiches. I think the person who created them must have had a very small appetite. They are so funny!

      Abigail G.

 

Some of the outdoor activities I would want to do are the Stables, because I like horses. I would also like to try FootGolf, because a lot of times I beat my family.

      Ellie G., Age 10

 

I would like to go to French Lick Resort because it looks like a magical kingdom. I want to have coffee as long as you have cream and sugar.

      Gwen E., Age 7

 

My favorite spot once I get to French Lick is the swimming pool at the French Lick Springs Hotel. It has a magical dolphin family in the island in the middle of the pool. It is so fun to swim around the  island and have dolphins spray water on me and my friends.

      Izabella S., Age 10

 

My dream vacation is without my parents. I would invite my friends. Well, my parents could come and sleep in their own room.

I would have a water slide from my window to the pool. Then I would buy the candy shop and eat all of the candy and play at the arcade.

      Jack F., Age 10

 


We would take a picnic lunch out to the hotel grounds, like my great-grandparents used to do in the 1920s. As we ate, we would listen to the bubbling of the fountain, and smell the sweet perfume of the flowers. I would make sure to stop and throw a few pennies into the fountain, feeling the mist on my face.

      Jillian S., Age 13


We would take a quick break and get two scoops of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Then, do some hiking. On our hike we would hopefully see a bit of wildlife, then stop to have a picnic lunch. I love hiking and exploring with my dad!

      Abigail B., Age 10

 


I would bowl at their wonderful 6-lane bowling alley. I would also take a dip in their indoor pool, I love the dolphin sculpture in the middle of the pool. After all the fun, I would be hungry!  If I went to Pluto’s Pizzeria, I would get The Cheesiest pizza, the menu says it has more cheese than Wisconsin! 

      Charley M., Age 10


My favorite hotel is West Baden because of the dome. My dream would be to stay there with a balcony room and visit the store with candy and ice cream. I would be so excited!

      Ollie D., Age 7

(Ollie even included a great illustration of West Baden Springs Hotel!)


I wanna eat at Hagen’s Club House Restaurant. Me and my dad are tired of cooking, so eating here would be nice and relaxing. I really want to try eating the Line Drive Burger but I’m gonna take off the pickles.

      Ashton E., Age 11


Our last day would be the best. First we would eat breakfast at the Grand Colonnade. We would eat the best breakfast ever. Then we would rent a family bike. It would be so fun. I would be trying to pedal the whole time but probably won’t last.

      Maggie T., Grade 5

 

I would like to go to the arcade, pool, bowling and hot tub. I would like to go on November 3 because it is my birthday. It would be a birthday for a queen and I would be treated like a French queen.

      Mailey W., Age 8

 

My dream vacation would be a lot of fun things to do and lots of candy, ice cream, pizza and goodies to eat all day. It would be having fun all day with my family and I would plan all the stuff we would be doing. My little brother would have to listen to me and not complain. First I would start off my French Lick vacation by going on a trolley ride because itʼs a great way to see the two hotels from outside and because trains are fun.

      Maksymus O., Age 11


We would like to go to the trolley. I would like to sit in a seat by myself. I would like to play checkers and see the pretty lights on the ceiling of the dome. I would really like to do horseback riding.  I have never rode a horse. I can’t wait until I do! 

      Parker H., Age 8