Odds and Ends on Holiday Baking with Chef Allison


West Baden Springs Hotel sous chef Allison Lindsey has already filled us in about how it’s pretty simple to make pumpkin pie from scratch, and check back to the blog tomorrow when Allison will be sharing a holiday recipe with special family memories attached to it.

Today, Allison’s sharing a few thoughts and tips when it comes to holiday goodies.

On the value of homemade:
“I definitely make all of my gifts for Christmas, whether it’s food-based or something else handmade — I’ve made earrings and bracelets and quilts and things like that. I think hand-made goods are way, way more loving and thoughtful than a store-bought thing off the shelf.


Last year, I made pasta for my dad. My brother and sister-in-law with two kids, I give them big jars or cans of salsa, tomato sauce, or a jam or relish so they can feed their family with it. My brother who lives in New Jersey, I make him things he can take back with him, so something canned. Most of the time, I’m baking for an individual person. … For a couple years I’ve also been on a bread kick, trying to better myself at bread making, so I tend to give bread a lot as gifts. I do more sourdough-based breads. Right now I have smoked blue cheese, walnut and date sourdough. It’s really good.”

On thinking months ahead about holiday baking:
“Think about Christmas early, because it’s just human nature that we get so behind. At the tail end of the summer, I stock up things in my freezer that my mom has collected from people she knows throughout the summer season: cherries and pears, apples, etc. I try to use everything in its prime peak season. I’ll save things and pull them from the freezer anytime to, for instance, make a cherry pie. So it’s summer cherries, but now it’s a Christmas thing we can eat. When I’m ready to use it, I pull it out and bake it from the frozen state.”


Freezing doesn’t work for custard-based pies or her grandma’s famous oatmeal coconut pecan pie that Allison makes at the holidays, but it’s perfectly suited for fruit pies:

“You just roll out your pie dough, put it in the pie pan, add your filling, then you put the lattice work on top and put it in the freezer to stiffen up your design. And then once it’s stiff, you pull it out of the freezer and wrap it in plastic wrap. Then freeze until you’re able to use it.”


On planning ahead to make holiday cookie trays:
“I have cookie dough that I made during the summer in the freezer, and it’s less work for me during the busy holiday season. Sometimes on my days off during the summer, I’ll make cookie dough and just roll it into a log or portion it into scoops and then just individually quick freeze them. Once they’re frozen enough, pull them out and stick them in a plastic bag. And if you only need to bake off three cookies, you can bake off three instead of a whole batch. I can just pull however many different types of cookies I need, and there’s a holiday cookie tray and I’m good to go.”

On tinkering with alternatives to butter, flour and other baking staples:
“I recently tried a vegan butter made from coconut and chickpeas. And it’s so good. There’s different alternatives for everything. There’s more than just wheat and white flour; there’s more than just cow’s and goat’s milk. There’s so many different products out there right now — just expose yourself to them, research them, and you can change the flavor profile of what you’re baking. Instead of white flour, try a buckwheat flour or an almond flour, because those are great gluten-free options.”


On seeking baking resources from unexpected sources:
“If you have the drive and the desire you want to learn and you want to find something different, there’s so many resources out there for all of us. I know this sounds silly, but YouTube is full of information. I’m not ashamed to admit that I’ve been watching Gordon Ramsay on YouTube. His culture is different than mine, and you can pick up on something new. It’s a different perspective of looking at things.”

Get more of peek into Allison’s world of food by on Instagram, and visit our French Lick Resort blog again tomorrow when Allison shares her peanut brittle recipe!