Why I'm Excited About The Four Tops Coming to French Lick Resort this Saturday Night

I worked my way through school spinning the hits on the radio. That’s when I fell in love with the Motown sound.  The Four Tops ARE the Motown sound. The Temptations put on a great Motown show here in 2012. And now we have the Four Tops! Life is good.



Consider this:


  1. Four Tops founding member Duke Fakir is marking 60 years in show biz and still going strong.  He’s a piece of living history and we get to see him perform.
  2. Current Top Lawrence Payton Jr. is the son of a founding member.  The original Tops were together for 44 years.  It’s in Jr’s genes.
  3. This is the 50th anniversary of the Four Tops first hit:  “Baby I Need Your Loving.”  The next year they hit #1 for the first time with “Sugar Pie Honey Bunch.”  Talk about timeless.
  4. The Four Tops have 23 Top 10 hits.  That’s right, 23!!! 
  5. The Four Tops are in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame… as they should be. 
  6. The Four Tops are Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award Winners.  No question about that, either.
  7. And how about this:  The Four Tops did a song with one of my other favorite all-time bands doing the background work.  The Moody Blues.  “A Simple Game” made it to #3 on the UK charts in 1972.  Here’s a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDID-1NYAjg 

I'll scratch another one off my "must see" band bucket list when The Four Tops play French Lick Resort this Saturday.

Steve Rondinaro